Introduction

Blog of the research of the case of Manuel Blanco Romasanta, known as “Sacamanteigas”, first lycanthrope registered in the files of the European justice.

Tuesday, May 19

The first discovery.

But the great find of today were not going to be the documents of the court (that by another band are transcribed almost in its entirety in the net).
I ask about the files preserved in a nineteenth-century jails of the city, concretly of “Cárcere da Coroa” (Jail of the Crown) which was constructed by the order of the Bishop Juan Muñoz de la Cueva in 1717-28, and that worked until ends of the 19th century; and the " Royal Jail " of the architect Francisco Martin Vidal and It was finished in 1837, but used from 1843.*
The staff bring me a small glossary, and I see that the years 1850, 1851 and 1852 are missing. They assure me that this lack is due to the action of the fascists in the Spanish Civil War, that they dedicated part of his their regime to destroy inconvenient files among other things. But in the documents of 1853 I find among the rounded letters Manuel Blanco Romasanta's record in a kind of prisoners' list of the Jail of the Crown, but the bad luck is that his name is not going to appear in any more prison records.
I request them then a digital copy, which they deliver me previous payment of a few rates, and then I ask them to leave me to do a photography to the documents, but the answer is negative and they deliver me a request that I have to direct to the director of the Archieve, but it will be tomorrow...

* “A cidade de Ourense. Unha visión a través dos séculos.” (Ourense's city. A vision across the centuries.) Olga Gallego Domínguez. Bulletin Auriense. annex 27. Archaeological Provincial Museum. 2001.

No comments: