Introduction

Blog of the research of the case of Manuel Blanco Romasanta, known as “Sacamanteigas”, first lycanthrope registered in the files of the European justice.

Sunday, May 24

A Ermida, the refuge

I eat very fast the breakfast s with the pillow marked in the cheek. It is a task impossible to find a free buffet for breakfast in Ourense, just some fruits of season, but I have to conform me to what they serve in the cafe of the street parallel to the pension, though it is not exactly a vegetarian luncheon.

Guided by the Mr. Antón for a similar route in the beginning to the previous day I come to Vilar de Barrio town hall, to ask where A Ermida (The Hermitage) is. A Ermida perhaps is a place in which nobody there lived ever, and for this they me warn it in the Municipality. That is the reason because of it that is not visible for Google Maps, not for Mr. Antón.


The first one that called my attention of A Ermida is that it is not like I had imagined. All the references that I found about it was that it was a set of constructions done to guard the cattle of those of Rebordechao

When judging the constructions I dare to say that they were done to live in them, since they have the typical structure of the housings of the villages of Ourense's interior. Down with big door for the entry of the cattle and at the first floor with corridor and principal door and windows. But the first floor has no divisions, which demonstrates that they were not designed for big stays, more I dare to say, that judging by the capacity of saving and austerity that there have the neighbors of these lands, resources would not reject in the construction of these sheds if they had not been to live in them. It is possible that only the shepherd of the family had slept there thinking of the cows in the days in which the snow was not stopping to graze the herbivorous ones in Rebordechao, a kind of refuge to escape of the cold that goes in Rebordechao, that though only it’s far 3 km (1,90 miles) the difference of height and temperature is notable.

A Ermida speaks low. The tranquility that had always did not teach him to shout, because of it not if they can hear the secrets that enclose the stones that close the fences or that shape the corrals. The vegetation that growth with certain discretion in the narrow streets of the part of above rapid passing of the years denote without the human presence. Nevertheless, down, in what you see from the road it is possible to observe how still they continue using some sheds to keep hens. It. looks that in a house there was a commune of squatters living through some summer season.

In one of the meadows they graze calmly a heap of solitary cows, with the unique shepherding of a device that closes the area that of penetrating it they would receive one overturned electricity company, but that not if they dare to approaching. My presence troubles them enough, and they make me notice their edginess.
I initiate to trying something, do not be that. Probably some track, something that makes me understand better the way of life that here Romasanta spent. I initiate to photograph and walk around the surrounding areas.

It is amazing to see how sprouts the water of the soil forming creeks for all the sides. It is clear that if Michigan is the state of thousand lakes, this is the country of thousand rivers.

When I go up to the street with the absorbed look in every construction, thinking which of them would give I shelter the Romasanta think abreast with a man that I scared enough. It was a woodkeeper that was monitoring possible attempts of fires. It was not natural of there with the one that had not even idea of Romasanta's stay in that enclave.

The narrow ways and my curiosity invite me to enter the corrals. Some of them had devices of tillage of wood, one was sheltering a tractor, others were crammed with sacks of fertilizers, and all with a common denominator: abundances of straw and fleas.

But in one of them I am several minutes doing photos. I find several peel of animals hung on the walls of the first one to walk. Of wolf, of fox, of cow, and of horse. Cut as an apron, trousers or simply a hood, all completed with strips of leather and buckle to be fixed to the body.
According to my inquiries some years ago these peels were very typical in the areas of Ourense's mountain to be protected from the cold.


Of assurance he was in the habit of wrapping up with these peel in the cold winters of the Hermitage, probably he was seen during the night wearing them and probably of there is where the whole history comes.Before I could notice already the fleas had advanced their parasitism in me making me stop working to return to Vilar de Barrio to the chemist.


The Ermida location

See A Ermida, the refuge en in a bigger map

No comments: