Introduction

Blog of the research of the case of Manuel Blanco Romasanta, known as “Sacamanteigas”, first lycanthrope registered in the files of the European justice.

Monday, June 1

Vilariño. Permission to escape


My route was decided some days ago but to face every day to a trip suposses to concrete this that in your imagination seems easy but It gets complicated to explore territories almost virgin or with a difficult localization.

I had to go to Val do Conso and once there I went. I found out specific information in a country where the things never are black or white and where Who asks has to do it twice.

In Vilariño, administrative capital of this valley,.I stopped and found a school with few children. I looked inside and I liked to see how they were playing without taking care about was happening outside.but I had to come back to the city hall. I asked for it and I found it the building was new, built to be modern, but in this village the time was stopped... The two administrative staff rose the head of their computer and they observed to answer me, but first I have to ask twice to know where I was and where was the seat of the city hall in the middle of the 19TH century . At the end the older civil servant gave me all of sorts of explications.

I took th e car again and I drove trough roads with curves and curves I wanted to go slowly because I liked to observe the green trees: chestnuts, oaks, walnuts and a lot of fountains and small creeks...

The idea of “Home do Unto” (the man of the grease) walking through this place didn’t disappear of my mind. I tried to think about how he was part of the nature, part of the “matria”, as was said in Rome.
Suddenly I discovered that the car could not continue. In Edrada the habitants or they didn’t want vehicles or didn’t need them. A SOON AS I ARRIVE I met two persons. Was easy, a man dressed as a bee keeper went to meet me he was talking a lot.

This time was him who asked: he wanted to know If I was journalist and said that he was appear on tv. I decided to photograph him and while I was changing the clothe I used the time to look for the city hall seat.
Fascinated because today it was a barn and surprised that still had been the inscription that was identifying the building since it was a seat of a public institution … what country!

There was no file, so strips of chesnut wood that also were resisting the passage of time. The man returned and spoke and spoke and spoke until I achieved that he had said to me that " they were threatening the children to with the Man of the Grease " Certainly, he said to me that he had several children but that he did not know where they were … it be true or they would be children of the barn*?

I had to leave but before I guessed paths, at least it was what I thought, Manuel Blanco Romasanta's spirit. I remained with the inscription, with the unconscious fear of the man - legend and with the merger man - nature … ah! And also with the postal address of the bee-keeper for sending him the photos.

* Children of the barn or “fillos do palleiro” are called for these lands to those who have unknown father, referring to the one that happened in the stealthiness of the barns.

Vilariño on the map

See Vilariño in a bigger map

No comments: